Telenor Bridal Couture week 2015, the biggest couture joke of the country took place about a week ago in Karachi. The best I can describe it as, is as if you were shown the lunch menu of Emirates and then were forced down that of PIA’s right in your throat. YES! it was that suffocating. Powered by HUM Network, this couture week was more of a desi *I hate my susral* type HUM TV drama; where no actor gets along with each other and still they try to make it look like a drama. I mean what was a movie music launch doing in there? like are you serious?? Wasn’t having Bollywood dance sequences in a couture week retarded enough that we had to add music launches to it as well? There has never been a worse designer line-up than the one at TBCW2015. Had they gathered all the aunty designers together in one place? Or was it a launching platform for the aunty darzis? Such bad tailoring, colours and aesthetics, was it even couture?
As I set out to search clues to my questions, here’s the no-brainer favourites:
1. HSY showcased perhaps the only exceptionally stitched and well finished collection of the whole lot. I loved the burnt shades on this one, very royal and very beautiful.
2. Loved the shorter length of the jacket paired with a lehnga choli.
4. That’s a tricky green, another nicely done piece by Adnan Pardesy.
5. I loved the funky checkered finishings on this very royal and heavily embellished saree, again by Adnan Pardesy.
7. I wont say much for Amato, this is the only piece worthy for a slot in the list.
8. Mansoor Akram did have some interesting details and ideas but they couldn’t be executed well. This was a better one.
9. Zainab Chottani has been doing some pretty neat bridals lately. The grey pairing with contrasting blues, purples and fuschias looked very striking.
10. Zainab Chottani saree, how beautiful does that look!
11. One of the better collections, another Zainab Chottani ensemble.
12. From the liberty/aashiyana designer brigade, Mifrah definitely had better taste and some pieces were actually gracefully done.
13. Another Mifrah outfit, the new vintage?
14. MNR the new kid on the block, embellishment is definitely their strength. The lightest hint of pink on the bronze and black lehnga choli looks beautiful and the menswear is well-coordinated too!
15. A Fouzia Hammad (Goal) creation, the Chantilly lace leggings look chic (the only saving grace).
Fashion for thought: Is this how we want to project Pakistani *Couture* internationally? Have some mercy on the rest of us, dear designers. How hideous are all these!
But since every cloud has a silver lining, the highlight was this gorgeous couple walking the ramp, stars of the week, they looked so cute together, both wearing Asifa & Nabeel.