There’s always a limit as to which a designer can experiment with bridal couture, especially in our part of the world where 90% brides are reluctant to take experimental risks on their big day. At most designers play with hemlines or with colour, because at the end of the day modest bridals are what actually sell and bring in clientele. The Telenor bridal couture week was held in Lahore with a huge attendance of celebrities and socialites. On the whole, although the shows progressed smoothly but the designer showcase was more average or below. No wow factor in any collection, same old same old huge voluminous lehngas loaded with embellishment and not an inch of breathing space paired with solid cholis, long shirts with shararas etc etc (yawn!). Although some designers did try their best to push their creative boundaries and introduce new cutlines and silhouettes in bridal wear, the result wasn’t really pleasing.
Here’s FTA’s favourite 15 pieces: (in no particular order)
1. A beautiful ensemble for Goal by Fozia Hammad. Love how the cape trend has been translated into bridal wear and the pants are gorgeous too, two thumbs up for this!
2. Lovely colour combination, an ethereal ensemble by Tena Durrani.
3. Maria B does ombre best! Love the dreamy, fairytale feel.
4. Very well balanced use of pastel mint, perfect for summer weddings by Ammar Shahid.
5. Bold and fierce, with a fantastic mix of print, sheer and embellishment by Faraz Manan.
6. Another breathtaking outfit by Faraz Manan. The perfect colours with the most stunning embellishment work.
7. A very traditional bridal but with a slight newness in terms of colours and embellishment by Aisha Imran.
8. Striking and stunning, gold front open shirt with a red hand worked sharara by Saira Rizwan.
9. The maestro Fahad Hussayn, doing what he does best!
10. Another phenomenal creation by Fahad Hussayn.
11. A simple no-fuss yet striking, firey red by Mini Bindra.
13. Umar Sayeed is undoubtedly, I repeat undoubtedly the KING of Pakistani bridal couture. The beauty in his clothes is beyond what words can describe, and I am sure his designs are on the lust list of every single bride to be! Simply FAB!
14. Look at all those gorgeous colors!! Umar Sayeed again.
15. Absolutely SUPERB!! by Umar Sayeed.
I won’t mind wearing his menswear designs either, such marvellous work!!
(Photo credits: Hum interactive deptt.)